Friday, May 8, 2009

CPS?


My mom says that she wants to call CPS on me after seeing these pictures this morning. Both of my girls eat like birds. They never pitch fits or refuse to eat something - they will at least try everything I give them, & are pretty decent veggie eaters, but they have no appetites at dinner. They can eat two bites and spend the next hour being silly at the table. I've tried not giving them any snacks (they only get a tiny one after rest time), eating earlier, eating later, threats, no dessert, etc with no luck. Last night I told Mae if she didn't finish at least half of her food before bathtime - an hour after dinner started - then she was going to be eating broccoli cornbread & beans for breakfast. Yummy! She responded, "no cartoons? no cheerios?" Yup. I guess she thought I was kidding, bc she wasn't motivated. So... bright & early this morning Mae was sitting at the table eating this lovely breakfast. I'm not sure why she strips off her jammies first thing every morning - she makes me cold just looking at her. To be honest, that pouty lip was about Daddy leaving for work, she wasn't really that upset about having to finish her dinner. It took her an hour, but she finally finished. So - unless anyone has any other ideas - I'll just keep trying this trick & take the risk of having CPS knocking at the door someday. :)

3 comments:

Holly said...

Let me know if you find something that works. Caleb could use some help in this category too!

Kelly said...

Way to go! Food is the biggest challenge I have with him. He doesn't have a big appetite either. At least you said they eat veggies. Tate won't touch one with a 10ft. pole (unless it's cooked inside and he has no idea). Keep me posted on any other tricks that work. :)

Jennifer said...

I know that is frustrating...especially when you go to all the trouble to actually prepare dinner. Like my pediatrician always says....they will eat when they are hungry. My kids tend to have one meal (either lunch or dinner and it often switches depending on the day) that is bigger for them and the other is smaller. You may consider cutting out that small snack just to see if that helps? I know our kids have tried to skimp on dinner and then an hour later say they are hungry and want a snack and we don't allow that. This parenting thing sure is hard! On another note, I can't believe how big Mae is. She's really grown since I saw her last!