Lots of rain. Steaming, extra humid, hot afternoons. Tension headaches every day. Very little sleep. Gross community showers. A camper with the worst case of HEAD LICE the nurse had ever seen. SNAKES.
Sound like a fun week? Actually, only because of God's goodness, grace, & provision - it was an amazing week! Before I forget too much, I wanted to put down some thoughts about my week at RFKC - a camp for abused kids. After having a couple days to think on things, I'll start with the two biggest blessings that God allowed me to experience...
First, I was so convicted that I am an excuse maker. When I have insomnia, a headache, or just a really stressful day I know that I extend a lot less patience & mercy towards my girls. I give them (and myself) excuses about why I don't feel like doing whatever they are asking of me. At camp, I was constantly praying for God to empty me of myself & fill me up with Him. He ALWAYS came through. No matter how exhausting or frustrating the situation, I never felt like throwing up my hands or biting someone's head off. I pray that I can apply that at home more often every single day.
Second, I have enjoyed every minute of my family being my main "ministry" since my girls were born. I've wanted to be a mommy forever. But, sometimes I don't feel used by God in a big way - cleaning, laundry, & mundane life are huge distractions. It was such a thrill to have a week where I knew I was doing exactly what He wanted me to be doing... that I was doing just what Jesus would be if he were on earth right now. I was being His hands & feet in a tangible way - holding kids hands all week, putting my hands on their faces to tell them how amazing or beautiful they were or how proud I was of them, going down the huge slide with kids to help them be brave, singing praise songs at the top of our lungs, & praying over them when they had nightmares at night. I know when He spoke of the "least of these" He had these kids faces in His mind.
I so wish I had pictures, but for security reasons only camp photographers were allowed. After the kids were in bed we would work late every night on putting together a scrapbook for each of them to take home. My buddy counselor, Heather, & I had 3 campers we spent the week with (S, J, & K). Here are some memories & pictures that I have in my mind:
*watching S interact with her brother. She had been adopted, but he was still in foster care & they very rarely see each other. At every chance they were hugging, he was kissing her on the cheek, listening patiently to her, showing off his crafts to her & giving her things he'd made, and just soaking each other in. It was precious to watch.
*seeing sweet & responsible J's little face transform over the week. Her eyes, dull & lifeless on Monday, were full of sparkle by Friday. She was acting like a typical 9 year old - full of silliness & giggles by weeks end.
*all of K's hilarious comments. She & S were handfuls, but she said some of the goofiest stuff that kept us rolling (stories to remember - cornbread, gas, & jail). She was especially affected by the very dressy tea party that we got to doll the girls up for - she was a different little girl in that fancy dress.
*God's intervention to help me be brave myself... you all know how I feel about snakes. I swam in the pond so the girls could try out the slides, even after campers spotted a snake swimming in the shallows. Copperheads had been seen around camp. I even touched a 6 ft long boa because my camper asked me to "please do it for me!"
I don't write all this to "toot my own horn", but just to remember how good God was to me during this week. If you have ever thought about going, please give me a call - I can give you the real scoop now! Hopefully Tom & I can both go next summer... I'll know a few more tricks next time (like double check for head lice the first, not last, day of camp). :)
5 comments:
I love that you were a part of this camp, Amber. God put it on my heart in a BIG way to be a counselor for the first 3 years of the camp...DV went with me just because he loved me the first year, but he fell in love with it as well, and has been back all but 3 years I think. It's life changing....for the kids, yes, but for each and every adult who goes with a heart willing to give. I'm wondering if God may be calling me back there some year very soon...it's a great place to be! But the snake thing - oh my. That's a first. Fear #1 for me!!!
I saw your blog from another person's blog....then when I saw your title, I was drawn in. RFKC is a love of mine, and I was also there for my 9th year.....I was one of the camp aunts. You wrote so eloquently about your experience with your little campers....you were the hands and feet of Jesus to those girls. Watching that brother and sister all week long was touching and those are moments I will never forget. Thank you for helping show love to those girls! Bless you!
Wow Amber, good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone. That's not east to do. Not only did it impact the kids there in a huge way I'm sure. But I bet it impacts your kiddos as well to see their mom serving in that way.
I am SO proud of you sweet friend! Your love and passion for those girls comes through every word you wrote! I know you were as big of a blessing to them as they were to you.
Wow, what an amazing experience. So thankful that it went well. I loved reading about your week. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment