Saturday, May 3, 2008

This & That







First, I got tagged about what I was reading this week, so here goes... you are supposed to write the fifth sentence on pg 125:
The Essential 55 - An Award-Winning Educator's Rules for Discovering the Successful Student in Every Child by Ron Clark: "Not a single child in the line was making a sound, and as we passed the office, I saw the kids were looking fixedly on something behind me." This awesome teacher appeared on Oprah a few years ago (when I still had time to watch Oprah) - he taught in Harlem & focused his energy on instilling these 55 life lessons in the kids - the book goes over each lesson with funny accounts of how he put it into practice in his classroom. A light read, but very inspiring. I pray for teachers like this one for my girls someday!


Spelling Love with an X - A Mother, a Son, and the Gene That Binds Them by Clare Dunsford:
"Suddenly, without warning, he pulled back his arm and punched me in the eye." An interesting book about a mother's challenges in raising her son with Fragile X syndrome. She has a phD in lit, so it gets kind of wordy & deep, but I've always been interesting in anything about special needs children.

I just got to the library & haven't started any of the fiction that I picked up. I love to read & have have always been a book worm/ nerd. :)


In other news around here - I wish I had a better update about soccer today. Tom was at a volunteer day at work, so I was going it alone with both girls. It was picture day, so we had to be there by 8am for our 9am game, and it was FREEZING. The temp really wasn't so bad, but the wind was really cold. As a bonus, Anna hates being cold... she was pretty miserable the whole time. She & Mae took turns asking, "can we PLEASE go home/ get in the van?" about 100 times. This time I really had to make her take her turns in the game, she never cried, but she definately didn't have fun either. She mostly clung to the coaches hand and shivered. We are praying for warmer games for the rest of the season!


Yesterday's weather was great, however, and we had so much fun with some friends at the park & nature trail. Anna ran about 2 miles next to her friends on their bikes (we hadn't brought her's) & the girls loved seeing this precious mama duck & her babies. It was a sweet day... I love spring!

No comments: