Saturday, May 10, 2008

Run, Anna, Run!




Today we figured out the key to soccer success in our family - prayer & QUARTERS! So far, Anna has spent most of the time in her games holding the coaches hand, or slowly walking towards the group - staying as far away from the action as possible. Today was a great warm overcast day, so we decided to try our version of a little trick that we heard some friends had used last season. We told Anna that every time we saw her hustle & run, regardless of whether she even touched the ball, Daddy would put a quarter in his pocket for her. Who knew that would be so motivating? She ran after her teammates the whole game, even making contact with the ball a couple of times. She earned 19 quarters & an exciting trip to the dollar store on our way home! I sat watching her the whole game with a silly grin thinking - she's really doing it... she's enjoying a soccer game! Praise God! When we got there Anna & I took a prayer walk/ jog around the field - praying aloud that God would help her to be brave & have fun at her game. He enabled her & I'm sure He brought the quarter idea to mind (I heard about that a couple of months ago & had totally forgotten until last night). Praise Him!

5 comments:

Kristen OQ said...

I so glad the quarters trick work -- I credit it all to Jody though! Looks like Anna is doing great and may get more trips to the dollar store.

Kylie said...

If you don't mind I might steal that idea! Maylen usually spends most of the game hopping on one foot, well that IS NOT what her father the coach wants to see. She says she's afraid that the ball will hit her in the face, maybe some coins will make it a little less scary! Great idea!

Alyssa said...

After I saw you on Saturday, we tried it with Lauren this week at practice and it made a big difference :) Yea Anna!

Anonymous said...

Amber! That is so great!
I love this trick--I will definitely remember it since I have my own little fraidy cat that may benefit from it in the future.
So glad soccer has become fun for your family now! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay, Anna! Kindergarten already...wow! How exciting. Your girls are so precious and I see both you and Tom in their faces. It is fun to read your blog once in awhile and catch up on life in the Dayton household. :)