Wednesday, March 3, 2010

First Broken Bone


I was hoping that since we have a family of little girls, we would get to skip the broken bone drama. I never broke anything as a kid, but my parents joked that we moved every 5 years to keep CPS off our doorstep since my brothers broke a bone about once a year! I hope that poor Mae doesn't follow in their footsteps!
On Friday at lunch she fell of the bench at our breakfast table, causing the bench to fall down with her & onto her little fingers. Very quickly I could tell that her pinky finger was broken (it was crooked, turned purple, & started swelling right away). We had major issues with our dr's office... when I called to find out where I should take her, my "urgent" phone call wasn't returned because they all went on an 1 1/2 lunch break. I finally just drove up to the office after lots of frustration, got put off again (they said they'd fit me in hours later), and left the office bawling to go to urgent care (we've since gotten an apology from the pediatrician who said that her office handled the situation completely inappropriately). During all that drama, Mae was such a trooper. She cried for a long time when the accident happened, but during all of the hours of waiting she played my iphone, played memory with cards from the xray tech, ate snacks, and never worried about what they might do. At one point after we discussed our options with the urgent care dr she asked quietly, "Mommy, will you please not let them split my finger?" She thought that "splint" was "split" but wasn't even crying about that! The dr did attempt to set the bone without any anesthetics because he said that the 3 numbing shots would probably be worse. She was in a lot of pain during that, but a second set of xrays showed that he wasn't successful. We left with a metal splint & instructions to call ortho on Monday.
God was so good to us as I tried to set up the appt on Monday morning. After lots of phone calls, we ended up seeing a great pediatric orthopedic hand specialist. She did her own xrays & decided that Mae's type of break would move back into place & heal on it's own with a cast. Mae never made a peep while she was casted, even though you could see that molding the cast on her fingers was really hurting. What a brave girl! We were so thankful for Mae's live in the moment, non-anxious, distractable little personality during all of this. She is in this cast - which is completely waterproof & can get totally soaked underwater (how cool!) - for 3 weeks. We could totally see God's provision during everything & thank Him for guiding us to the perfect dr for this situation. You can see from Mae's smile that she's not at all upset by having a cast, and it hasn't slowed her down a bit. Yesterday I almost had a heart attack when I asked her to take Bitsie out to potty & looked out the back door to see her at the top of our climbing rock wall in her slippery cowgirl boots, hanging on with her one good hand. Good grief! Get the first cast off before you need another one!

1 comment:

Kristen OQ said...

Seth had a purple cast when he was in the Turtles too! Guess maybe they really are kindred spirits! ;)

I hope she is back to a normal hand very soon. She is a tough little girl!