Sunday, February 15, 2009

100th Day!





I'm so thankful to be on this side of 100 days of kindergarten! I remember all my anxiety & nerves before that first day, and it feels wonderful to have the comfortable routine of school down pat. Anna is not a morning person, so she doesn't hop out of bed ready to go each day, but she is always happy once she gets there & greets me with a smile every day when I pick her up. Praise God for this answered prayer!
On the 100th day Anna got to wear this beautiful creation - they had to design something with 100 things on it. They got to march in a parade all around the school - Mae & I went and Anna was sweet to wave at Mae as she went by (the close up pic) and give her a big hug afterwards.
Both girls also had sweet valentine parties at school this week. I got to be at both, but forgot my camera. They loved getting valentines from their friends (although Anna didn't care for having to write "to so-and-so from Anna" 22 times). I had a proud moment at Anna's party... I record it here for our family book, so if you don't want to read a mommy brag stop now!
I saw when I went into her class that she had been moved to the table closest to the teacher - having volunteered in class all year I knew that was where Mrs. Smith put kids she needed to keep tabs on. I told Anna that I knew that kids usually got put at that table if they were having trouble with talking and asked if she was having trouble with that. She responded, "I talk too much sometimes." My stomach sank - her behavior chart with full of smilies & I couldn't imagine how so much could have changed without the teacher letting me know. A few minutes later I got a chance to ask Mrs. Smith quietly if Anna had become a talker & she said she had put Anna there because she seemed to be a good influence on a little boy that really struggled in class & she thought that Anna could be a good example to him. I was relieved of course, but felt bad that Anna thought she had been in trouble. I quietly told her that she wasn't there because she talked to much, but because God had been answering the prayers that I pray aloud over her every morning on the way to school - that she would make good choices, be a helper to her teacher, and be a good example. A few minutes later I had to jump in when she started to explain all that to the little boy beside her... "do you know why I sit at this table with you?" I told her we were very proud of her, but that this needed to stay just between us. Hee hee. I am so thankful that God has answered this specific prayer & praise Him for the great year that Anna is having.

2 comments:

Emiley said...

That is the sweetest story about the sweetest little girl! You should be one proud mamma!

Perks said...

What a cute story...I love that she was ready to explain it to her little friend. :)