Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My little ladybug



Is she a baby or a big girl? Here is Mae in her little ladybug hat after meet the teacher today. She was thrilled to go to school & wore her hat quite a bit tonight (the picture is too dark to see the antenae - but it's awfully cute!). She cried almost every time we dropped Anna off last year begging to "go my class", so I know she'll do great! The next picture shows Mae's baby side - I was cleaning upstairs & heard a little bird tweeting sound. She had pulled this baby activity center out of the corner of her closet & had set up a little nest/bed underneath complete with her bedtime blankie & paci. It kept her entertained for a long time, so I wasn't about to tell her she was too big for that.
As an update on our other big girl - kindergarten is trucking along. Anna comes home with great reports & fun stories about 90% of the time, so I'd say she's really liking it. I'm finally feeling good about it too! The first & second weeks I got increasingly overwhelmed by all the info from school - so many handouts, fundraisers, events, etc, but no feedback about how she was doing except for a blue smiley face to show she hadn't gotten in trouble. I got more stressed when we started having to drop them at the front door of the school to find their lockers/classes on their own the second week... and then kind of lost it when Anna told me that she had to sit out of PE one day bc she didn't have on the right shoes (they have to keep athletic shoes in their locker, but they didn't get a chance to change that day). Silly I know, but the thought of my little girl sitting in the corner of the gym not understanding why she couldn't play was just too much for this mommy! I sent the girls over to my neighbors, had a good long cry to my own mom, & worked it out over email with her teacher. Now I feel much better! Sometimes you just have to have a good ugly cry before you can move on. :) I'm starting to volunteer this week, and that's going to help so much with feeling comfortable. The school seems awesome, her teacher is so sweet, and we LOVE walking to & from school everyday. Most of all, she's happy - and that's huge!

No comments: