Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Anna's Deep Thoughts

Two Anna stories I don't want to forget:

*about a week before Easter we started discussing Christ's death & resurrection with the girls. Anna prayed one night a sweet & sincere prayer, but Tom & I had a hard time not laughing out loud... "Dear God, thank you for this day & (long list of thank you's). We thank you most of all for sending your Son to die for our sins on the cross and that You raised Him from the cocoon."
I hadn't thought about how "tomb" and "cocoon" kind of sound alike to six year old ears.

*she asks oftenn why they don't learn about God at school. Her background is lots of church, Bible Study Fellowship, Christian preschool, etc - so it makes no sense to her that there would be a classroom of kids and no Bible story. We've tried to explain the seperation of church & state in 6 year old terms, and told her that it was her privilege to tell her classmates about Jesus since her teachers can't. This week we got a flyer for the Good News Club, which is an after school activity/club kind of like vacation Bible school. They start meeting next week for a six weeks series. This was really confusing to her why that was allowed in the school building. I told her that it was an opportunity to tell some kids who may have never been to church about Jesus, and she responded, "I think that all of the fifth graders need to go. I don't think any of them know Jesus because they act crazy all the time, hyper, and silly." That is a whole other conversation about hormones that I wasn't ready to have!

No comments: