Saturday, October 24, 2015

Poor Mae Mae


Oh sweet girl... it hurts just to look at you!  
Mae was playing out front with Anna a couple of weeks ago.  They were being silly, laughing, & wrestling when I saw Mae fall over then heard crying.  She's not a cryer, so I ran across the street to find her laying on the ground covering her face.  When I pulled her hands away her little nose was at a sickening, unnatural angle near the bridge between her eyes.  As she fell she had hit her face in just the wrong spot against the hard plastic electrical equipment box between our yard & our neighbors.  I rushed her inside onto the couch & gave her 2 ibuprofen, put ice on her face, & started rubbing lavender all over the area that was already swelling up enormously.  I called our next door neighbor over,  a nurse, for her opinion on whether we should take her to urgent care.  She didn't think it was broken but I loaded her up & drove to Cook's in Southlake just in case.  When the doctor there saw her there she worried that her nose & possible some bones around her eye could be broken & wanted us seen by Cook's downtown for a CT scan.
Mae was a trooper during the next several hours of waiting.  She had only cried the first couple of minutes after hitting her face but was in obvious pain for about an hour.  But by the time we made it downtown, she was commenting on "our adventure" trying to find the ER entrance, laughing at her pictures on my phone, & talking my ear off as we waited forever to be seen.  Thankfully they did several x-rays & decided that a CT wasn't necessary.  No bones were broken because kids her age have more cartilage than bone in that area.  It was definitely dislocated when I first saw her after the incident, but the swelling had pushed everything back into place.
We headed home from Cook's by 9pm Sunday night & I told her she should sleep in & take Monday off school.  Typical Mae... she was up early the next morning saying that she might as well go to school, she would have to get the questions & looks over with at some point.  She said she would suggest to her teacher that she tell the whole class the story once so that she would't have to repeat herself all day.  She came home in good spirits & really didn't let it phase her the rest of the week.  Praise the Lord for such a easy going girl!  Thankful also for answered prayer that nothing was broken, no surgery necessary, & that this happened to a 9 year old & not a middle schooler (who would have insisted on homeschooling until next school year).  








No comments: